Monday, October 22, 2012

Shiv had asked me if I wanted to go to Kolkatta to be a part of the Durga celebrations.


Somehow being in India, and after this Ganpathi, I want to take in all that Mumbai so lovingly offers for our enjoyment, entertainment, spirituality and bhakti.

This is me who did not like crowds. I cannot stand in any queues even the ones that snake through Disneylands and luckily this Ganesh Chaturthi, we stood in no queue at all to see Lalbaug cha Raja, at Mohammed Ali Road. It is the road that unites all religions, muslims and hindus alike, wait on this road and throw garlands at Lalbaug cha Raja. So I was there as well, trying to catch a glimpse of the imposing Lalbaug cha Raja, strolling on this very road. I wanted him to stand still, so I can take in all of him, but he kept rolling, quite fast, leaving me dissatisfied. Even standing for a second before Tirupathi Balaji seemed more satisfying than a strolling Ganesha. But, am I not being a tad bit greedy here ? Getting a darshan of Lalbaug cha Raja was a big bonus, a very unexpected opportunity for us. The lines that thronged him on all eleven days stood fourteen, fifteen hours before reaching his lotus feet and all I did was come out Anant Chaturdhasi day, what a day, to catch him galloping towards immersion.

We bought hats and pictures of Lalbaug cha Raja at the scene and when I requested the kids to wear it, all I received was a 'Mom, are you serious ?' look.

But anyway next Ganpathi, they have to wear those hats to go out on the streets or else I will, at which point I am hoping they would say 'Mom, you look totally ridiculous, never mind, we will wear it.' And I would say 'Ridiculous or not, I paid good money to buy these hats, so either you guys wear it or I will '. What do you say ? ;)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home